Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Wishing I was a better photographer


I sent photos of some original projects to Denise Peck at Step by Step Wire Jewelry. I borrowed my husband's new camera. Shoulda stuck with my old Mavica, I guess--she said they were too blurry and asked me to rephotograph and resubmit. Sigh. I guess I'll have to give it another shot, but it'll be Friday by the time I have the time to really do a proper job of it. When I do figure it out, I'll post some photos here. One project I want to post here is a very simple kind of multistrand necklace I designed on Sunday. I won't claim it's never been done before, but I've never seen one, so to me at least it is new. All you have to do is get a spool of 28 gauge copper wire, string about two to three feet's worth of beads on it, and chain stitch (crochet) the wire, adding a bead about every fourth or fifth stitch. The resulting chain will be perhaps fourteen to sixteen feet long, depending on how tight your stitches are and how big your beads are. Then take the finished chain and fold it in half, then in half again. This should be a wearable necklace length, hopefully at least. Now all you have to do is add a clasp to the loops on each end, and perhaps twist it a bit to get the strands to meld together somwhat. OF course you can leave it loose as well. This is a sloppy-looking, casual necklace, and I can tell you so far that it works very well with mixed pearls and with baroque small turquoise pieces (the only materials I have tried it with so far). It's not a design for the anal-retentive as the strands take on a mind of their own to some extent. I like freeform, organic-looking things, so this design makes me quite happy. It is also very cheap and fast to make. The wire set me back $1.87 at Hobby Lobby. I don't know how much the pearls were (they were in my random pearl bag and were leftovers from a bunch of projects). The turquoise was not marked (I don't keep careful track of what things cost, bad me) but I seem to remember getting them in a swap. Yeah, that's right, I got them in a swap, so I traded something for them, but I don't remember what. I guess I'm one of those creative disorganized people. Anyway, I'm going to try this in some other materials. I have some 28 gauge artistic wire in 'gold' and electric blue. I think they will look good with various glass beads I have. I have had fairly good luck with my Mavica this evening, so here is a photo of the design (I'll have to name it something, I can't just keep calling it 'the designs' as if it is the only one!) I have other photos, but this blog program doesn't want to load them right now. I'll add more later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home