Sunday, June 17, 2007

Collage Composition Binder


I recently joined Belinda's new Collage Composition Yahoogroup. I would like to learn more about the fine art of composition, especially since the last art instruction I had was back in middle school (and NO, I won't tell you how long ago that was!) She suggested we get a notebook to put our class printouts and projects in. I had a binder I had been planning on altering, but had gotten disgusted with (because the paint I was using to create a background kept sticking to things...ugh). Well, I probably should have used gesso, but didn't know any better at the time. So I went ahead and gessoed it, and decided to decorate it. I figure that this is like anything else.....the more practice I get, the faster I will learn, so why not practice on this? I decided to start on the back. This is what it looks like so far. Pretty empty still, but at least it's a start.


3 Comments:

At 6:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your binder is great! I love the color and the cute flower in lower right corner. I know I need to get going and put mine together!

 
At 8:15 PM, Blogger lorraina said...

Sarah you didnt ask for advice but do you mind if i give some? i mean these suggestions as constructive advice and hope its ok for me to do so. I think you have a natural talent but to save you time getting to this conclusion i will offer what i know, ok?
The collage composition binder elements are scattered apart too much and perhaps mving them closer together, overlapping a little would be favorable.
With Zeal the same thing-overlap your embellishments more and bring them together. When placed all separately the eye dosnt know where to look. The 14k gold rose might look nicer alone near the top where the heavier swirl is.Always place the heavier pieces lower and light weight pieces can go higher. Usually all things should connect or touch, sort of like bridges to let the eye move around smoothly.
On Once Upon a Time move the star to the left a little so its on or partially overlapped onto the dark blue paper. Good luck with your art. Keep making jewelry - your beaded pin is awesome!

 
At 5:11 AM, Blogger UpsideDownSarah said...

Lorraina, let me thank you for your comments. I do want to mention that the binder is not finished yet. I added new elements last night, and will add more. As for the Zeal collage, I wanted a sparse look for that, and because the background has a design on it, I considered that one of the design elements to be overlapped. I appreciate the information and will consider your suggestions, because I know I still have a lot to learn about composition.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home