Saturday, July 14, 2007

Art Expo

I went to the Dick Blick Art Expo yesterday. It was pretty neat. I took the Acrylic Encaustics class at Belinda's suggestion (thanks!). I am a newbie when it comes to acrylics, so to me the info was mostly new. I got to see and work with a bunch of different mediums.....fiber medium, crackle medium, glass bead medium, extra heavy matte gel (which looks kind of like wax/encaustics when dry and can be scraped into before it sets up for similar types of markings). We did a lot of samples in class. It was a little hectic and disorganized, but basically worth what it cost (especially since they sent us home with sample jars of three mediums and small bottles of four paint colors). I plan to photograph my class samples for those who are curious, so let me know if you are interested in any of those.

After the class, I went to the Golden booth in one of the two exhibit halls. Everything was 40% off, which was very nice. I bought larger jars of four of the mediums, a set of ten colors of liquid acrylics, and larger bottles of my four favorite colors (two of which are interference....sort of like dichroic glass, with which I am and always will be in love).

Overall, despite my unhappy stomach (allergy problems, ugh) it was a very nice day and a good learning experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home