Tuesday, October 23, 2007

My take on Zentangles


When I first heard of Zentangles on the arttechniques email list, I wasn't very interested. After hearing about it for awhile, though, I decided to give it a try.....with a twist. Zentangles are normally done in black ink on white paper. So first I tried it in colored pencil on white paper. It turned out quite well. I liked the visual impact of the rich colors. Next, I decided to try colored pencil on black paper. I was very happy with how it turned out. One reason I like this (beyond the coolness factors of abstract design and fun creative process) is that it is a good way to hone my drawing skills. Since I just started a med that makes my hands stop shaking, I hope I will make major progress in this area over time (both with the Zentangles and with my fantasy drawings.) I also taught some of my sixth graders to make Zentangles, and they too are having fun coming up with their own patterns and variations.

8 Comments:

At 2:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A very colourful and pretty zentangle Sarah. I agree that this exercise really seemed to show off your flair for colour and reminds me of stained glass.

Thanks.

 
At 4:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very ince, but I STILL cannot figure the whole concept out! I even read Belinda's explanation. Did you begin with the 4 dots and then " the string"?, lol!

 
At 7:02 AM, Blogger Laurie said...

Love your colored zentangles! Very nice.

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger Laurie said...

Love your colored zentangles. Very nice!

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger UpsideDownSarah said...

I did begin with the four dots and the string. I like curves and rounded shapes, so that is how I made my string, but you could put in edges and angles if you wanted.

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Judiwithaneye00 said...

Beautiful! I will have to try the pencils. For the first time today I did one on black CS and used a white Gellyroll. I like it. Next I am going to try blending oil pastels over a zentangle done on WC paper. Looks like neither of us can leave the color out. Thanks for the new idea!

Judi Foster

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Sandy said...

Very nice. I love the colors that pop off the page.
Sandy M

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger Marva Plummer-Bruno said...

Sarah - oh how cool! Love the colors and designs! Marva

 

Post a Comment

<< Home