Monday, April 17, 2006

Thanks for the help!

Well, with the two responses I got here plus the ones on the WWJ list and on CWJ forum, I think I got some great comments. It helps so much to be part of a community where people help each other out. I think what I will do is keep the piece for awhile and look at it again after I have gained more skills as Remy suggested. That decision "feels right" to me. Some pointed out that it is a bit unbalanced and that the wire on the left looks bare. I agree. But I like designs that leave you feeling a little uneasy and that make you wonder. I like diagonal lines, which is what this piece makes when it hangs on a chain. Maybe I'll feel different about it later. This is one of many lovely things about wire, and jewelry making in general--there's no pressure to finish something NOW. One of my challenges as an artist who was always taught to think with the left side of her brain is to shut the left brain voice up and learn to receive what the creative right side is telling me. The right brain does not do things on a timetable. The right brain does not answer a question when it is asked, a lot of times. Instead, the answer comes in a dream or simply when I look at a piece and KNOW what needs to be done. I don't know yet what needs to be done with this piece, if anything--but there is nothing to be lost by setting it aside and looking at it again later. Although I'd be lying if I didn't admit that part of me wants to "finish the job" because that's what I've always been trained to do--"finish what you start", "don't take out stuff to start something new until you finish what you are working on", and all that. That's definitely a left-brained way of thinking. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's not the right mentality for me to use in my artistic pursuits. The left-brain thing works really well in my job and in a lot of other areas, but for this I need to listen to my artistic soul.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home