Sunday, July 22, 2007

New Collage--How Can I Reach


I think things must be improving, because now I am going into my studio, sitting down, and simply making things rather than waiting for a challenge or an assignment. Part of the inspiration for this change in behavior is having new things to play with. I got some Golden fluid acrylics at the Art Expo and want to really test them out and compare them to the other acrylics I have used in the past (FolkArt craft acrylics and Jo Sonja's artist gouache). I am also trying to absorb and interpret what I have been learning from Belinda's Collage Composition course which I am taking. So, on this project I started with an acrylic background and collaged other items onto it. The reason for the unique shape of the support (which is matboard) is that is is a chunk of the board I painted Tiger Tiger on awhile back and ripped off. I do have other matboard, but I wanted to use this up "for practice". I ended up really liking the way it turned out, even though partway through I wasn't very happy with it. The only thing I wish is that there was more contrast between the flower beads and the background. I'm considering going back and painting them to make them pop more. What do you think?


BTW, the title comes from the lyric snippet in the sheet music fragment in the lower center.

2 Comments:

At 6:00 PM, Blogger JoAnn said...

Hi Sarah,
I love this piece...colors are great. But I really like the fact that you're creating independently of your 'assignments' :) Keep up the good work! Jo

 
At 11:50 PM, Blogger Sheri said...

oh i love the colors of this.... i like to put shadows behind elements on my collages sometimes to make a contrast between the two things or to make them blend. the best peices of art come from just sitting down and playing around!
sheri

 

Post a Comment

<< Home